Feliz día de las madres to all of you that are moms or soon-to-be moms! This mother’s day, I’m reflecting on how we can mother our writing self and nurture our creative writing pursuits.
Here is my top ten list on how to mother our inner writers
1. Carve out time for writing
2. Create writing meet ups with other writers
3. Disconnect from Facebook, Twitter and other social media
4. Evaluate your writing goals
5. Get out of your comfort zone and explore other creative genres
6. Take creative risks
7. Treat yourself to a new journal or packet of pens
8. Indulge in a good book! One of my favorites is “The Sound of Pen on Paper,” by Julia Cameron.
9. Organize a reading of your work
10. Treat your inner writer to a prickly pear margarita
11. Find new writing nooks in the city where you can plop down and crank it out. Here is one of my most recent finds…
12. Pick up Poetry & Writer’s magazine and enter a writing contest
What are some ways that you spoil your inner writer? Let us know in the comment section.